I thought you might remember a rather sad hallway table that Mark had painted but when I went back through the arhcives I hadn’t even blogged it. I think that it was so ugly I didn’t want to show the world! He had painted it a completely out of charactor pinky purple colour, I think it was the same shade ad the bedside unit I did tell you about.
Then he made a bad job worse by using dark wax over the top and drawer front so those parts looked a little like this other nasty piece he produced…
Once he had gotten that far even he decided that he had completely ruined the piece altogether and nobody in their right mind was ever going to buy it. I’m just grateful that he did stop there as it made my job of rescuing it a little easier!
Now, because I thought I’d already blogged it, I didn’t get a photo of it in it’s ugly purple dress – sorry!
But here she is with the rescue so far…
I gave her a solid covering in the same mid green that I used on my console table makeover with the intension of using another old map to top it off and cover the nastiness completely!
Then I painted the bits Mark had already waxed and, while the paint was still wet, wiped them with a clean dry cloth to get a distressed look.
I’m not 100% sure on the finish but I haven’t ruled out filling the details and covering with a map!
I waxed the whole thing with a white wax I have. I don’t usually use it because I’m not always keen on the results it gives, but in this instance, I quite like the highlighted details and that you can see the brush strokes.
At least now there’s a slim chance that someone might actually buy it! I really wish I’d taken a ‘before’ shot for you guys – it belonged in the hall of badly painted furniture!
I mentioned that we had been given an old Chinese camphor chest last week and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it.
As much as I would have loved to strip it back to wood and stain it a dark red or black the thoughts of getting into all those little nooks and crannies was enough to make me break out in a sweat!
Instead I opted for painting it with an acrylic satin black. It took 2 good coats to make sure I got all those little specks of white but it wasn’t as tricky as I expected.
I then gave the inside a coat of a lovely dark purple I mixed with a touch of red – I was inspired by the Pantone colour of 2015, Marsala – I was originally thinking red, but I’m happy with how the ‘marsala’ turned out. You can even still smell the camphor though it.
It was a million times better than it started off, but there was still something lacking…
Then it smacked me in the face. It needed glamour. It needed panache. It needed… GOLD!
I dry brushed the tiniest amount of gold paint onto the top centre panel and it made all the difference. Now you can see the beautiful carving and it’s got a lot more of an oriental feel to it. It has gone from a painted disaster to something quite stunning!
I know that there are plenty of people who will be shouting at me for painting this piece and I totally agree that it was probably better before it was touched but after the white gloss it came with I had little option!
Some of you might have noticed little white flakes around the inside rim? Well apparently even when acrylic paint is touch dry it isn’t actually dry, dry! The lid had fused to the base and Mark had to force it open! I was loosing light fast, so decided to go ahead and take the shots before it was completely dark and I had to wait another few days before I was home in daylight! I will, obviously, touch it up before it goes on sale!
It’s not actually dirty but boy does it look grubby!
When Mark first told me he was going to paint it white I imagined ‘Country Chic’, not ‘Found in a Barn’!
Now, I hate the look of it. It’s just not right for me. Even Mark isn’t sure on this one, he likes it okay but has his doubts about whether it will appeal to the buyers in our town. He’s considering giving it a white wax to bring it up just a little and I think it’s a good idea.
But then you put some old leather books on it…
Wow! What a difference, now it’s perfect 🙂
I’m so glad Mark and I have such different tastes and ideas, it makes our projects so much more diverse and interesting!
Apologies for the late post (it’s actually just after midnight here, so really it’s Tuesday!)
I don’t know if you gathered from my previous posts, but Mark and I don’t always agree on what furniture we should buy to work on. Or even how to finish a particular piece. So when he came home last week proud as punch of the bedside cabinet he bagged at the auctions I didn’t know quite how to say that I was less than enamoured with it!
He painted it quite a strong violet colour and highlighted the detail with a papery white.
Then he gave it a coat of clear wax and declared it ‘Beautiful’!
Now, sometimes a change of colour and a little effort is all it takes to transform an ugly duckling. In this case, I’m still not swayed… it’s still kind of ugly.
Apologies also for the terrible photography – with trying to move the blog and all the associated headaches I missed daylight completely. I will try to get some better ones soon!